It wasn’t long ago when there was a general assumption that when we grow older, we’ll naturally need to move into a nursing home or assisted living facility. There is now a greater understanding that living at home throughout aging with in-home support is oftentimes a realistic option. There’s also additional information since the pandemic began that growing older at home is the preferred and safest choice.
So, how do you determine whether the benefits of home care are right for someone you love? First, you will want to consider his or her level of functionality within these two areas:
- Activities of Daily Living: These include daily tasks like showering/bathing, getting dressed, getting into and out of a chair or bed, using the bathroom, eating and walking.
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: These tasks consist of money management, cooking, housekeeping, shopping, taking medications properly, using the phone, and transportation.
If a loved one is challenged by any one of these types of activities, home care can be very effective in boosting both safety and independence. Not only that, but in-home care from an established agency, like Absolute Companion Care, the experts in Sparks senior care (and the surrounding areas), offers a wide variety of other benefits, such as:
- An improved level of overall wellbeing comes from remaining within the senior’s environment of choice, where he or she is most familiar.
- An in-home caregiver supplies the socialization that is so vital for physical and emotional health. Throughout the isolating months of the pandemic, the need for regular social contact became glaringly apparent.
- Home care services promote healing after a surgical procedure or hospital stay, and minimize the possibility for re-hospitalizations.
- Home care allows seniors and their loved ones to savor more high-quality time together. A caregiver who assists with errands and daily chores frees up family members from these tasks. And frequently, older adults feel much more comfortable having personal care needs tended to by a care professional as opposed to a relative.
- Home care services are highly personalized, based around each individual’s unique needs, schedule, routines, and requests.
- With the one-on-one care provided by an in-home caregiver, care is not shared with other residents as in a facility setting – meaning needs can be met immediately without waiting for a senior’s turn.
- A healthier lifestyle is attainable for older adults receiving professional home care. Caregivers can prepare nutritious meals that are appealing, provide medication reminders, offer encouragement and motivation to stay physically active, and so much more.
- With transportation and accompaniment provided by the caregiver, an older adult can remain engaged in the community through outings to fun destinations, lunch dates, visit with friends, religious services and so much more.
At Absolute Companion Care, we’re honored to serve seniors in Sparks and the surrounding communities with in-home care services that can make life the very best it can be for elders. Our caregivers are background checked, fully trained, and experienced in a wide array of senior care needs in the home. Reach out to us any time at 410-357-9640 for a free in-home assessment to learn if our top-rated Sparks senior care is suitable for your loved one. For a full list of communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.