As we grow older, skin changes are very common. Skin becomes thinner and drier, may develop wrinkles, creases, and age spots, and bruises more easily. However, just a little extra TLC for aging skin can make a difference towards keeping it healthier and more vibrant. Try these tips from the aging care experts at Absolute Companion Care:
- Change up the bathing routine. Trading in long, hot baths for a 10-minute shower or warm-water bath, or replacing bar soap with a gentler cleanser, are excellent starting points in taking care of aging skin. Helping older adults switch showering or bathing routines from every day to every other day can provide additional skin protection. Consistently follow up bathing with a fragrance-free moisturizer; however, avoid bath and body oils, which could raise the danger of a fall.
- Safeguard from the sun’s rays when outside. Springtime is a superb time to enjoy the outdoors with an elderly loved one, but be certain that his or her skin is covered with sunscreen (at least SPF 30), stay in the shade, and supply a hat for added defense from the sun’s rays.
- Boost humidity when inside the house. Dry air commonly causes dry skin. When heating or A/C are running in an older adult’s home, make use of a humidifier as well. Determine humidity levels with a hydrometer (available at the local hardware or home improvement store), and strive for a reading of anywhere between 45 and 60 percent.
- Protect working hands. If an older adult enjoys being able to help with household chores or gardening, be certain that he/she wears gloves to protect the hands against any harsh chemicals that may aggravate or hurt the skin.
- Check for skin cancer. Ensure that a senior loved one visits the dermatologist at least yearly to be examined for skin cancer, as the risk increases as we grow older. In between visits, look for any spots or moles on the skin consistently, and inform the dermatologist about any changes in color, size, or shape to pre-existing spots or moles. The doctor can also help develop a plan to handle various other skin issues that a senior loved one is encountering. To locate a dermatologist close to you, search the American Academy of Dermatology’s database.
At Absolute Companion Care, our experienced elder care team is highly trained in helping seniors maintain optimal health and wellness, from head to toe! A few of the numerous ways we’re able to help include:
- Senior transportation and accompaniment to check-ups and surgical procedures
- Making certain older adults in our care stay properly hydrated
- Preparing healthy, nutritious meals for seniors
- Providing bathing/showering assistance
- Helping with housework and laundry
- Encouraging physical activity and exercise
- Offering friendly companionship
- And so much more
Reach out to the specialists in senior care at Absolute Companion Care today by calling 410-357-9640 to schedule a no-cost in-home care consultation and to learn more about services in your area. We offer high-quality, compassionate companion care services that provide you with peace of mind.