We all know what it’s like to experience “one of those days” – you’ve overslept and missed an important meeting, the coffee maker picked today to stop working, you tripped over the cat, dropping your phone and shattering the screen, and to top it all off, you feel a cold coming on; and it’s not even 8 a.m. yet.
For those who are caregiving for a senior loved one, every day can feel packed with this same level of stress. At Absolute Companion Care, as top providers of home care Towson, MD area families trust, we get it! Worries over making sure your loved one is comfortable, safe, and healthy combine with the stress of how to complete all of the day’s to-dos, and the last thing on a caregiver’s mind may be a hearty belly laugh. Yet, that may actually be just what the doctor ordered to reduce stress and rediscover the joy and rewards of providing care for your loved one.
In fact, the benefits of laughter to both our emotional and physical health are significant and well documented, including:
- Giving our immunity a boost
- Reducing our level of stress hormones
- Lowering pain
- Enhancing the heart’s functionality and reducing heart attack risk
- Releasing endorphins that promote stress reduction for almost an hour
- And even increasing our chance of living longer!
Of course, we’re not suggesting taking serious situations lightly, or laughing at your senior loved one. The key is in finding humor in the everyday moments you encounter, and then sharing laughter together. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Plan an afternoon of comedy. Pull out a classic funny movie your family has enjoyed in the past, or a taping of a stand-up comedian, grab some snacks, relax and enjoy the show.
- Search online for jokes, funny stories, and one-liners, and compile a list of those that are especially funny. Schedule certain points during the day as “joke time,” drop whatever chore or task you’re doing at those designated times, and take a quick joke break.
- Spend time with kids. Children are innately joyful, and simply being around them as they play will no doubt lead to boundless opportunities for laughter.
- Take time to reminisce over favorite funny stories from the past. Pulling out pictures or old home movies is a great way to trigger favorite memories.
- Break out of the everyday routine. It’s easy to get stuck in a pattern of busyness with chores and then crashing in front of the TV. Plan an outing to try something out of the ordinary with your senior loved one and simply enjoy quality time together.
Absolute Companion Care is always on hand to help alleviate stress in a variety of ways. Allow us to assist with housework, laundry, preparing meals, running errands and more, and rediscover the joy of having fun with your senior loved one! Providers of the best home care Towson, MD and the surrounding area has to offer, we’re here with as much or as little assistance as needed to improve quality of life for both your senior loved one and yourself. Contact us at 410-357-9640 to learn more!