Living through over a year of a global pandemic taught us not to ever take for granted the small but extremely significant things in life: shared laughter, hugging our friends and family, a dinner date in our favorite restaurant. We discovered firsthand that social wellness benefits are to be valued, and just how lost and empty we can feel when they are taken away.
July is Social Wellness Month, and now that vaccinations are eliminating our need to isolate ourselves, it is an ideal chance to make certain that the older adults in our lives have abundant opportunities for socialization.
Social Wellness Benefits
Research has shown that people who stay social:
- Live longer than others
- Respond much better to stress
- Have healthier endocrine and cardiovascular systems
- Have a stronger immune system
- And much more
On the other hand, older adults who live a more isolated and secluded lifestyle are at heightened risk for serious health issues – comparable to the consequences associated with obesity, smoking cigarettes, and hypertension.
Simple Tips to Improve Social Wellness in Seniors
If a senior you love has become accustomed to isolated living and is unsure how to enhance socialization, these strategies will help:
- Think of current interests, or hobbies your senior loved one may wish to learn more about. Perhaps there’s always been a dream to learn to play the piano, speak French, or plant a vegetable garden. No matter what the interest, investigate local opportunities for a class or group for the senior to join to learn a new skill or share an existing one with others.
- Gain the dual advantage of health and fitness by joining a gym or exercise group. There are a variety of exercise classes specifically designed for seniors, allowing for a low-impact workout in addition to the chance to form friendships. Just seek advice from the doctor for approval first.
- Find a cause or organization that the older adult is particularly passionate about, and check to find out what their volunteer needs are. Older adults can find purpose and meaning along with socialization opportunities while helping those in need.
How Absolute Companion Care Is Available to Help
An in-home caregiver in Phoenix, MD or the surrounding areas from Absolute Companion Care is a quick and easy solution to enhance senior socialization. Our caregivers are fully trained, experienced, background-checked, and available for as much or as little time as an older adult would like for fun activities, conversations, outings, and more. We are able to provide transportation and accompaniment to social activities for older adults, or just visit with the senior in the home on a frequent basis.
Contact our in-home care experts any time and let us help a loved one in your life stay social, healthy and well. We offer a complimentary in-home consultation at your convenience, so email or call us today at 410-357-9640. For a full list of all of the communities where we provide our award-winning care, please visit our Service Area page.