We either love them or avoid them, but whatever our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there is something incredibly refreshing about moving into a brand-new year, providing us with a new slate and an opportunity to make any changes we want to improve well-being or even achieve a new goal or dream.
Resolutions for caregivers can be particularly meaningful, as they impact not only the caregivers themselves, but also their senior loved ones. It’s important, however, to keep resolutions realistic. Resolving, for instance, to get a full eight hours of sleep nightly, while caring for a senior loved one who struggles with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, can be setting yourself up for failure.
Try instead to consider one of the top new year’s resolutions specifically created with family caregivers in mind:
- I will reach out for help and support, and take assistance when offered.
- I grant myself approval to say “no” to requests to prevent undertaking a lot more than I can easily handle.
- I will make my personal health (both physical and mental) a top priority, making certain I set up and keep medical checkups and appointments.
- I can remind myself that self-care isn’t selfish, and that by taking proper care of myself, I will be able to take better care of my family member.
- I will focus on my energy level, and make a plan to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If even the mere notion of accomplishing some of these goals seems too lofty to think about, we’ve got a remedy! Partner with Absolute Companion Care for specialized home care on a routine basis, permitting yourself necessary time away from fulfilling the care needs of your senior loved one, while knowing she or he will get a wide variety of benefits as well, such as increased socialization through the companionship of a skilled, knowledgeable, and compassionate caregiver.
Beginning with a free-of-charge in-home consultation, we will listen to the unique needs and challenges of your senior loved one, and produce a customized plan of care to satisfy those needs, through a number of services such as:
- Assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as: buying groceries and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and interesting outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, in accordance to any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, exercise, as well as other pastimes which are typically of interest to the senior loved one
- And lots of others
Connect with the team from Absolute Companion Care by calling 410-357-9640 today to learn more about our home care in Hunt Valley and the surrounding areas. Take the initial step when it comes to attaining a new goal in 2020!
From all of us at Absolute Companion Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!