Feelings of exhaustion can seem as though they are a regular occurrence for some of us, especially after an overwhelmingly, busy day. It can be challenging to to achieve a good night’s sleep whenever we can finally sink into bed. A good night’s sleep is the key to rejuvenation and the motivation to take on the world.
For senior loved ones, there are numerous factors that may lead to chronic fatigue – a condition that isn’t as easily remedied. As March is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Month, Absolute Companion Care has the information you must know to understand and manage extreme fatigue in the elderly.
Contact us online or call us at 410-357-9640 to learn more about how our home care services can help with elderly fatigue.
Causes of Extreme Fatigue in the Elderly
- A variety of medical ailments, such as cancer, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, COPD, kidney and liver disease;
- Prescription side effects from antihistamines, antidepressants, and pain/nausea medications;
- Medical treatments, such as surgery & recovery, chemotherapy, and radiation;
- Sleep apnea as well as other sleep difficulties;
- Mental health challenges like those experienced in depression and anxiety;
- Feelings of despondency or lack of control in life;
- Monetary or personal stress;
- Unhealthy eating and exercise habits;
- And many others.
In many instances, a doctor can address the underlying factors that cause chronic fatigue, so it’s recommended to schedule a checkup and consultation if a senior loved one is dealing with any of the listed issues.
The Best Ways to Remedy Senior Fatigue
Additionally, the following tips can help with surmounting fatigue:
- Document when the older adult feels most productive, and most sluggish.
- Add more physical activity into the senior’s daily routine. We recommended obtaining authorization from their physician before starting or changing any exercise programs.
- Encourage better sleep at night by eliminating midday naps as well as naps taken for more than thirty minutes.
- Quit – or never start – smoking, which is known to result in a great number of medical problems that can drain energy.
- Encourage your older loved one to speak with an experienced therapist, to tackle and work through stress, anxiety, depression, or any other emotional difficulties.
- Allow plenty of time for fun! Laughter is a wonderful, natural, energy and mood booster.
- Designate specified times every day for relaxing – listening to quiet music, reading, meditation/prayer, or enjoying a favorite soothing hobby, such as knitting or working on puzzles.
Absolute Companion Care is always here to offer further strategies to conquer fatigue and to make life more fun for the elderly throughout Baltimore. Give us a call at 410-357-9640 to request a no-cost in-home consultation and for additional information about our top-rated elder care in Towson, MD and the surrounding communities.