November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and with more than 130 million Americans diagnosed with the disease, it is likely you know someone or perhaps even are included in this group. Regardless of whether you are new to caring for someone with diabetes or a seasoned veteran, there’s always something new to learn to better manage the condition.
These care tips for diabetes management are easy to implement and will make a world of difference in keeping the disease in check.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Improve Life With Diabetes?
- Manage meds. A pill organizer or medication reminder services from an Absolute Companion Care caregiver can help ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed. Remember to stay on top of ordering prescription refills before running too low. Keep a list of all medications being taken, including the dosages and when each is taken. It’s important to share this information with all of the person’s doctors and specialists, to prevent any contraindications from new or changed prescriptions.
- Relieve stress. Elevated stress can cause elevated blood sugar levels. When caring for a family member with diabetes, incorporate numerous calming activities throughout each day: taking a warm bath, reading, participating in enjoyable hobbies and pastimes, listening to favorite music, etc.
- Stay active. Exercising is another key element of keeping blood sugar levels regulated. Speak with the physician for a recommended exercise plan, and make certain the individual exercises within an hour or so after eating, so blood sugar levels aren’t too low. If attending a fitness class outside of the home, be sure to bring along water, glucose tablets, and snacks that are rich in carbs in case of emergency.
Get a medical ID bracelet. Wearing a necklace or bracelet that indicates the person has diabetes will ensure the right level of attention in the event of any kind of emergency.
- Partner with a professional. Caring for someone with diabetes is a complex undertaking. A caregiver from Absolute Companion Care can help ensure all of a person’s care needs are met at all times, ensuring you can take the breaks from care that you need for your own health and wellbeing.
How Can Home Care Help?
Our care professionals are highly trained and experienced in caring for those with diabetes, through services such as:
- Preparing healthy and balanced, diabetic-friendly meals
- Providing support with walking and transfers as needed to prevent a fall
- Watching for any indications of complications and reporting them immediately
- Offering cheerful companionship to brighten each day
- Providing safe transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments, medical tests and procedures, etc.
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and other errands
- Assisting with personal care and hygiene
- And so much more
Contact us any time at 410-357-9640 to find out more about our in-home care for someone you love with diabetes or any other health condition. We are able to make life safer, more comfortable, and more enjoyable, while promoting independence. Our services are available in Towson, Hunt Valley, Monkton, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to find out if our award-winning in-home care services are available in your community.