After a surgical procedure or hospitalization, the words we anticipate hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re free to go home now!” What a sense of relief there is in entering the front door, sinking into a well-loved chair, and unwinding.
However, there are often quite a few tasks needed for proper healing and recovery and also to prevent a re-hospitalization. For seniors who live alone, as well as for anyone with family support, it can be intimidating to go through all the post-hospitalization guidelines, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adjust to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and more.
This is when a knowledgeable home care agency, like Absolute Companion Care, providers of home care services in Towson, MD, and the surrounding communities, is very helpful. Our transitional care can start even before discharge to make certain every important detail will be taken care of. Working together with the hospital’s care team, we can formulate and implement a recovery plan for care at home to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, along with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the fridge and pantry are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any required medical equipment to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any potential side effects and medical issues
After discharge, we can:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, utilizing the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, card games, puzzles, as well as other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of laundry and light household chores
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect your senior loved one with other local helpful resources
- And a whole lot more
By making use of the highly skilled and caring staff at Absolute Companion Care, older adults can decrease the stress that naturally is connected with a hospitalization and concentrate on getting the rest necessary to recover. Not only that, but it allows seniors to avoid a stay in a rehab facility and instead receive expert care at home.
If a senior you love is facing a scheduled surgery, give us a call. We’ll be happy to come visit the senior at home and start to develop a plan to ensure a smooth transition home. We can also perform a home safety evaluation and provide suggestions for any changes needed to prevent falls – a frequent and hazardous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Connect with Absolute Companion Care for home care services in Towson, MD any time at 410-357-9640. We are here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay. For a full list of all of the communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.